5 Sustainable Products that Save You Money While Saving the Planet
Hello my Fellow Eco Enthusiasts,
I am here to share some of my favourite products that we carry at The Green Way. These useful everyday products continue to save our family money while saving the planet! They save me time by creating less trips to the store and they are also 100% natural, which is better for my family and the earth.
1. The first on my list has to be our most popular product. The No Tox Life - Solid Dish Soap Block. Just one of these blocks replace up to 3 bottles of dish soap. When I say they last a long time I really mean it ( I've been using mine for 6 months now ). This soap is also tough on grease and has many uses besides washing dishes. It can be used as a stain remover, surface cleaner and I have even used it as an oven cleaner. This dish soap stays on my brush long enough for me to wash many dishes before I have to apply more soap and it also lathers up quite nicely.
2. Another kitchen product that we love is the Ten & Co - Swedish Sponge Cloths. These amazing cloths are so multi functional that I could probably write a whole article just describing their many uses. But for this list I'm going to try and keep it short. These cloths soak up 15x their weight in liquid, which is around a 3/4 cup of water (hence the word sponge). They make the perfect un-paper towel to use all around the home. Wiping up spills is easy with these cute cloths and due to their quick drying material (cellulose & cotton) they don't get stinky like traditional dish cloths. Each cloth replaces up to 17 rolls of paper towel and can be easily cleaned on the top rack of the dishwasher or in your wash. These cloths can last up to 6 months each and significantly reduce paper waste around the home.
In the bathroom to wipe down counters.
Use as a makeup brush cleaner.
Save old cloths for dirtier home cleaning jobs.
They also make great placemats for adults, kids and pets.
Oh and did I mention they are 100% home compostable!
3. Wool Dryer Balls are up next on the list because they are a huge money saver and reduce the chemicals in our laundry. These Canadian made balls by Moss Creek Wool Works last 1000+ loads and replace the need for single use dryer sheets and fabric softeners. They are made with no chemicals, perfumes or dyes, which make them ideal for those with sensitive skin or for babies and children. These balls also reduce drying time, they save on electricity & preserve the lifespan of your clothing. But it doesn't end there. Once their machine life span is over you can use them in other ways around the home. They make great pet toys, drawer scent balls (add essential oils to them) or even as massage balls. You can also just simply compost them at home because they are 100% biodegradable.
4. Another great money saving product is my Safety Razor by EcoRoots. Not only does it give me an incredible shave but I no longer have to dread spending $16 - $20 on razor heads each month and I'm not putting unnecessary plastic in our landfills by shaving. This razor will last me years, maybe even decades. I simply buy razor blades at my local drug store, which usually come in 50-100 packs, so $20 in razor blades lasts a good year or two. After I change out the blade (about every 7-10 shaves) I store them safely in a glass jar and then simply recycle them at my local recycling facility when its full. I haven't calculated how much this will save me per year but i'm going to assume its somewhere in the $100's if not more.
5. Last on this list is going to be Shampoo & Conditioner Bars from Bottle None. Made in B.C and perfectly PH balanced for the best hair washing results, each bar replaces 3 bottles each. I also find that a little goes a long way so they seem to last forever in our home, even between the 4 of us. They are also great for my girls to use as they are easier for them to handle and that causes way less waste than before with the bottles of liquid. Pro tip: the conditioner bar doubles perfectly and shaving bar.
Well thats a wrap. I hope you have enjoyed learning about some of my all time favourite eco friendly swaps and until next time stay safe, well and sustainable.